Puad Zarkashi withdraws decision to contest as independent following Sultan's advice

File photo
JOHOR BAHRU, April 28 (Bernama) -- Datuk Dr Mohd Puad Zarkashi's decision to withdraw from contesting as independent candidate in the Batu Pahat parliamentary seat today was made upon the advice of the Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Almarhum Sultan Iskandar.
In a statement issued through his Facebook page, Mohd Puad said he was thankful for the concern, guidance and advice of the sultan, whom he described as having much wisdom.
"As a 'bangsa Johor', I finally decided not to contest as an Independent after being advised by His Majesty, the Sultan of Johor.
"As a loyal Johor subject to His Majesty, I adhere to the decree of the Sultan of Johor, as I'm confident that Tuanku has given the advice in the best interest of 'Bangsa Johor'," he said in the statement tonight.
He said this to 'clear the air' over the situation as many people had sought to contact him over his absence during the nomination process this morning.
The former Special Affairs Department (JASA) director-general was confirmed as not standing for the Batu Pahat seat in the 14th General Election (GE14) as he did not hand in his nomination form at the Batu Pahat District office here today.
He was previously rumored to be contesting as an independent following his disappointment at being dropped from the list of Johor Barisan Nasional (BN) candidates announced by Johor BN chairman Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin recently.
The Batu Pahat UMNO division chief became the Batu Pahat MP in 2008 after successfully defeating PAS candidate Muhammad Abdullah with a vote majority of 12,968, during GE12.
However, in the last general election, he lost to PKR candidate Datuk Mohd Idris Jusi with a majority of 1,732 votes.
Mohd Puad was replaced by Batu Pahat Wanita UMNO chief, Haliza Abdullah to take on the seat in GE14, in a three-cornered fight against PAS Central Dewan Ulama chief, Datuk Dr Mahfodz Mohamed, and Penang Deputy Chief Minister (I) Datuk Mohd Rashid Hasnon.
The names of candidates set to contest in the constituency were announced by returning officer Mohd Haffiz Ahamd at 11.27am.
-- BERNAMA